This post picks up from: how to install Ubuntu on an external USB drive so that you can run it from your MacBook.
- Follow these instructions to install ROS Kinetic on Ubuntu.
- Follow these instructions to set up a catkin_workspace
- The catkin instructions above do not mention to do this, but for most simple purposes, I suggest editing your .bashrc file:
- The .bashrc file is a shell script that is run every time you open a new terminal window. Use a text editor (like gedit, nano, vim) to edit the ~/.bashrc file (gedit ~/.bashrc).
- Add this line to the bottom (replace USERNAME): source /home/USERNAME/catkin_ws/devel/setup.bash
- Reload your .bashrc by opening a new terminal window, or typing “. ~/.bashrc”